Specific Guilds/Specialization

TBerry

The basic idea behind this is that you have specific Guilds that allows you to specialize in one or two field(s), unlocking certain skills, tools (additional multitool functions?), ship parts, and abilities, as well as field-specific quests.

For example:
Explorer's Guild: The guild that overarches all guilds, and starter guild gives you your basic skill tree (read: everything you could do in WA) and allows you to map the world. Should you choose to specialize in that field later, you gain the ability to create more detailed maps including outcrops/deposits, ruins, and potentially hazardous areas. You can also map greater areas.

Archeologist's Guild: Uncovers ruins and artefacts. Specializing lets you create more detailed maps and you can unlock certain ship-parts and tools*, by decyphering old scripts or blueprints. Unlocks an upgraded scan-function and a scanner for your ship, as well as a special container for artefacts. Mapping will include ruins with more details. You can build items that helps you detect ruins or artefacts (similar to the ATLAS Compass in WA). You are also the only one that can unlock certain chests or tombs. Artefacts or scripts/blueprints can be either sold for much money or brought to the Archeologist's guild for knowledge/XP.

Miner's Guild: Specializing lets you detect outcrops/deposits and also tells you what material it is. Mapping will include name of material, or a specific color representing it. You can unlock upgraded mining, that lets you mine more in shorter time.** Miners can also craft higher quality ingots with fewer costs. Unlocks an upgraded melting furnace for your ship and bigger storage. Can turn disassembled parts or metallic pieces back into ingots.

Shipwright's Guild: Specializing lets you unlock more parts in your skill tree and also gives you access to all ship parts of other fields (however, that doesn't mean you can use them). Unlocks upgraded repair that mends parts faster at fewer costs. Can disassemble parts.

And some more.
I will update this post later.

*Certain parts, tools and engines could only be crafted with high-quality or very rare materials
**Additional suggestion: Have outcrops or deposits have a cooldown, rather than a "reset", as in you can only mine a certain amount, and then you have to wait some time until you can mine that same area again.

I'd like to add that it wouldn't matter which guild you are in even when solo as everyone would still have access to the same basic skills, weapons, ship-parts, etc. still, however deciding to specialize in a field would give you certain perks, and having a shipwright or archeologist in you crew/faction wouldn't hurt.

{Update]
... I can't think of anything else. That's up to you.

Last edited:

Aura

You can also added grappling specialization for explorer's guild, such as longer cable, a one time emergency cable (for when you fall to certain point below a land mass, and some improvements to personal flight.

I could also add in two guilds:
Warrior's Guild: Combat
Pirate's Guild: Raid

TBerry

You can also added grappling specialization for explorer's guild, such as longer cable, a one time emergency cable (for when you fall to certain point below a land mass, and some improvements to personal flight.

I could also add in two guilds:
Warrior's Guild: Combat
Pirate's Guild: Raid

Yeah, I included one exploring guild (actually 2 but oh well), one gathering guild and one crafting guild, but I didn't really know how to go about guilds that focus on combat.
And to be honest with you, I'd just leave the combat to players and devs, and have these guilds be purely PvE focused to avoid further balancing issues. IMO, combat and piloting should be purely skill based.
I like the ideas with the grappling hook though. I think Explorer's Guild specialization might be most interesting for potential pirates.
To add to my post, each guild is represented by one person from each race.

I

[Inactive] Aboleth

in all seriousness, this likely won't effect any gameplay. however, we could give something like a name prefix or similar for specialization.

TBerry

in all seriousness, this likely won't effect any gameplay. however, we could give something like a name prefix or similar for specialization.
Do you mean combat based guilds? or in general? Because that's what I was saying.